Shepherd's pie was a classic that many households in Australia and Britain grew up with and started as a way for people to make left-over scraps of meat and vegetables into a delicious meal. A low-carb vegan diet can be very healthy as well. Low-Carb Friendly Plant Foods (For Both Vegetarians and Vegans). You can make Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) use 28 ingredients and 9 step. Here’s how to make }.
Ingredients cook Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb)
- You Need Equipment.
- You Need 2 Pans.
- You Need 1 Baking Tray (I think mine was approx 20cm x 20cm).
- You Need 1 Food Pocessor (I used my trusty Nutribullet).
- You Need Oven.
- You Need Produce.
- You Need 1 Celery Sticks (finely chopped).
- You Need 1 Carrots (finely chopped).
- You Need 1/2-1 Leek (finely chopped).
- You Need 200 gms Mushrooms (some sliced, some finely chopped).
- You Need 1/2 Medium Onion (finely chopped).
- You Need 2 Garlic Clove (finely chopped).
- You Need 1 tbs fresh Parsley (finely chopped).
- You Need 3 sprigs Thyme (leave whole).
- You Need 1 head Cauliflower (processed) – for the topping.
- You Need Others.
- You Need 1 1/2 tab Dried Mix Herbs (or Pizza herbs).
- You Need 1 tbs Tomato Paste.
- You Need 1 tsp Paprika.
- You Need 3 tsp salt (2 for filling, 1 for topping).
- You Need 1 1/2 tsp Pepper (1 for filling, 2/2 for topping).
- You Need 1 tbs Rice Flour (mixed in with 1/2 cup cold water).
- You Need 1 1/2 cups Water.
- You Need 2 Cups Almond Milk (for the topping).
- You Need 1 tbs butter (for the topping – I used a dairy free version).
- You Need 3 tbs Parmesan (for the topping – I used a Vegan Parmesan).
- You Need 1 Can lentils (drained and rinsed).
- You Need 2 tbs Olive Oil.
To make up for the meat I made sure to use plenty of vegetables, including mushrooms, which Using lentils in your Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie is entirely optional, but I find that it provides more bulk, texture, and protein. You'll want one cup of cooked lentils. This naturally vegan lentil shepherd's pie is made by baking stewed lentils and vegetables with a garlic chive mashed potato topping. Now we're looking for a vegan version because perhaps we're trying to lower our cholesterol, or feed a vegetarian guest, or exclude animal products for ethical reasons, or.
how to cook Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb)
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare vegetables as per ingredients instructions (pic doesn't show the Cauliflower once put in the food processor or the rice flour mixture).
- Place 1tbs Olive oil in a pan, add the onion and saute for 5mins..
- While the onion sautes, in the other pan, add the processed Cauliflower, 2 cups almond milk, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper to the other pan. Place lid on pan and leave to simmer covered (I didn't take any pics, sorry). This will cook down for approx 15 – 20mins cooking (or until softened).
- Back to the filling pan, Add the other tbs olive oil and then leek and garlic and saute for a further 3 minutes. Then add the Mushrooms, carrot, celery, parsley, tomato paste, thyme, mixed herbs, paprika, 2 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper and stir..
- Add the lentils and 1 1/2 cups Water and stir. Bring to the boil, turn down to simmer for approx 10mins.
- Just before the filling is ready, add the rice flour water mixture and cook for a minute or so and place the filling mixture into the baking tray.
- For the topping, place the cooked down Cauliflower mixture in a Food processor (I used a Nutribullet), with the butter and 2tbs Parmesan and blitz until smooth..
- Spread the Cauliflower Mash over the top of the filling, sprinkle the last tablespoon of Parmesan over the top and bake for 30mins..
- Once finished, serve. You can leave in the oven for longer for a browner top. I was too hungry to wait and it was great anyway (although doesn't make for the prettiest of pics 😂).
Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie is a meatless take on a classic comfort dish. Swap the meat for mushrooms and quinoa & it all gets smothered in a rich gravy sauce. The ultimate Vegan Lentil Shepherd's Pie featuring rich, flavourful, saucy lentils topped with fluffy, creamy mashed potatoes & baked until deliciously golden brown & crispy. Can we all agree that Shepherd's Pie is the ultimate comfort food? This vegetarian mushroom and lentil shepherds pie is as flavorful as Julia Child's Beef bourguignon with half the fat and half the cost.