Vegan Pot Pie is ready in about an hour, and makes a delicious main dish for any holiday. Long ago before my vegan days, I LOVED chicken pot pie. If you are struggling to find vegan recipes with a meaty texture you have to try this Vegan Chicken Pot Pie! You can make Pretend chicken pie (vegan) use 14 ingredients and 9 step. Here’s how to cook }.
Ingredients make Pretend chicken pie (vegan)
- You Need tofu.
- You Need paprika.
- You Need onion.
- You Need celery.
- You Need carrots.
- You Need garlic.
- You Need mushrooms.
- You Need pepper.
- You Need leek.
- You Need green beans.
- You Need Some peas.
- You Need cream alternative.
- You Need chopped parsley.
- You Need jusrol puff pastry.
Trying to make food for carnivores is no easy task. They are usually after that meaty texture and robust, rich flavor and, sometimes, have a predisposition not to. Every vegan (or non-vegan) needs a delicious chicken pot pie recipe in their wheelhouse. It's a staple in my diet and I hope it finds a place in yours.
Steps make Pretend chicken pie (vegan)
- Take your tofu block (you prolly want firm but my local shop only sells silken so I use that and it’s fine) and wrap it up in several layers of kitchen roll then pop a heavy book or two on there to press it for 15mins. This gives it a firmer texture and takes some of the moisture out. You can see I dropped my tofu so there are splatty bits this time.
- Carefully chop and fry your tofu. When it’s soft, it’ll fall apart just being picked up so be careful. It also spits in the pan. After you’ve cooked two sides they hold together a bit better. Try to ‘seal’ the sides like you would chicken. In the last minute, sprinkle a small amount of paprika over them..
- Once cooked, pop the tofu on some kitchen roll to get the excess frying oil off, cover with pepper and then set to one side.
- Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook em in a large pan until soft. If you have any white wine or cider, you might wanna add and then simmer away a cup now..
- Chop and add the rest of the vegetables, then add a cup of veggie stock and any bits of tofu that were too squished or broken to fry. Simmer off lots of the liquid.
- Add the cream alternative and a cup of frozen (or fresh) peas and the tofu. Make sure it’s all hot and then transfer into a casserole dish. (In retrospect it was too watery this time bc of the extra ice on the peas, be ready to add corn starch if you need to).
- Get your block of puff pastry and roll it so that it’s large enough to cover the top of your dish plus an inch each way. Leave it to settle for ten mins as it will shrink. Then plonk it on top of the mix!.
- Wash the top with some milk or egg alternative to make it shiny! (I forgot) Cook in the oven at 220C (435ishF?) for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is all puffed up and golden..
- Cut up and seeeerrrrve!.
Adding Dough/Filling to Pie Pan: – Flatten dough on greased cookie sheet using a greased rolling pin. – Lay flattened dough in pie pan and smooth edges. Most Pot Pie is typically, well, not Vegan. But us plant-based peeps deserve to enjoy this mouth-watering comfort food too, am I right?! That's why I decided to make this Chickpea Pot Pie! With a few simple substitutions — like heart-healthy Chickpeas for Chicken — this recipe is equally delicious.