You can cook Vegan Refried Beans use 8 ingredients and 14 step. Here’s how to make }.
Ingredients make Vegan Refried Beans
- You Need pinto beans, washed and soaked overnight.
- You Need large clove of garlic sliced.
- You Need dried oregano.
- You Need unsalted butter.
- You Need medium sized red/brown onion finely diced.
- You Need Serrano chilli pepper finely diced.
- You Need smoked paprika.
- You Need Salt as required.
Steps make Vegan Refried Beans
- Wash the pinto beans and soak with 2 cups of water for at least 8-10 hours. I have used the beans depicted in the picture of the completed dish..
- In a large stockpot, add the soaked pinto beans along with the water it has been soaking in and add an additional 3 cups of water..
- To the beans, add sliced garlic and the dried oregano. The original recipe uses epazote but I didn’t have any on hand so some dried oregano will do just fine..
- Bring these beans up to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a medium and let the beans simmer for an hour and a half..
- Alternatively (this is the method I used), if you own a pressure cooker, you may add all of the above ingredients into a pressure cooker and cook for 6 whistles on medium-high heat..
- WARNING: When using a pressure cooker, exercise extreme caution! Open the lid only when all the pressure has settled!.
- Check for the doneness of the beans. Using the back of a spoon, mash a bean against the wall of your vessel. If it turns to mush pretty easily, your beans are done..
- In a saucepan, heat your butter and add the finely diced onions to it. Sauté well until the onions turn a light brown colour..
- Add the sliced Serrano chilli pepper and the smoked paprika. Alternatively, you can use fresh jalapeño pepper and chipotle.
- Next, using a spider spoon or a slotted spoon, remove your beans from the water and add them all to the saucepan. Add enough salt to flavour the beans. Do not discard all that flavourful water! We have a use for it..
- Using a spatula or a flat spoon, gently begin mashing the beans in the saucepan. Add a tablespoon at a time of water (that the beans cooked in) and continue mashing until the water has been absorbed by the dish..
- Now, you can make the dish as watery or thick as you want or as smooth or grainy as you like. This depends on how much water you add and how much you mash..
- Continue adding the flavoured water and mashing the beans until it reached your desired consistency. I personally made them grainy because I love some texture in the beans! I also made it pretty firm so I added lesser water..
- Once you reach your desired consistency, your dish is ready! Remove from heat and let cool before you add it to your tacos 😉.