In this crispy tofu sushi burrito I use vegan chipotle mayonnaise and a touch of cayenne to bring in a little smoke and subtle spice. The second trick is to inject as much flavour in to the roll as you can. Unlike traditional sushi, dipping a burrito in to a bowl of soy sauce can be problematic. You can make Vegan Crispy Tofu Sushi Rolls use 15 ingredients and 10 step. Here’s how to make }.
Ingredients make Vegan Crispy Tofu Sushi Rolls
- You Need Firm tofu.
- You Need Sushi rice.
- You Need Corn starch.
- You Need Vegan chicken seasoning.
- You Need UMAMI mushroom seasoning.
- You Need Nori sheets.
- You Need Pickled Shredded red cabbage.
- You Need Pickled carrots and apples.
- You Need Soy sauce (shoyu sauce).
- You Need Mirin (rice wine vinegar).
- You Need Sesame oil.
- You Need Sesame seeds (optional).
- You Need Panko bread crumbs.
- You Need Oat milk.
- You Need Sugar and Salt.
Next you are going to squeeze as much water as you can out of the tofu. Then crumble the tofu into small pieces, this is best achieved by simply using your hands. Mix tofu with vegan mayo, sesame, garlic and sriracha. Put the knife under cold water before and after cutting the sushi rolls.
Steps make Vegan Crispy Tofu Sushi Rolls
- Drain and pat dry the firm tofu. Cut it in half. You dont need all of it unless you plan to make a lot of sushi. Cut length wise and not too thick..
- Place 1 cup of corn starch in a bowl. Season it with the vegan chicken seasoning and mushroom seasoning. [You can use whatever seasoning you want] mix well!.
- Cover the tofu in the cornstarch mix. In two bowls place the oat milk and bread crumbs. Dip the cornstarch tofu in the oat milk first and then in the breadcrumbs covering it completely and shaking off excess. Once you have done all of the tofu set aside and start heating up oil..
- In the mean time cook sushi rice per instruction in either a rice cooker or pot. I did a pot because I didnt want to deal with rice cooker (it was quicker too).
- Once oil is hot enough, fry those little suckers!.
- Once everything is cooked time to assemble. But first, place the warm rice in a shallow bowl and season it with 1 tbsp of rice vinegar, 1 tbsp of sesame oil and 1/2 tsp of sugar and salt. Mix well..
- Grab the nori sheets and place one on the sushi mat. I use wax paper on the mat to help it not stick. Press rice into the sheet pressing firmly but gently. Rice should stick easily if it's a bit warm..
- Start assembling your ingredients, and ROLL carefully..
Make sure to use a very sharp knife. For a gluten-free version you can substitute the soy sauce with tamari. Make sure not to overfill the sushi rolls. You could also use maple syrup instead of sugar for the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar mixture. While waiting for the tofu, mix sugar, mushroom seasoning, if using, and soy sauce in a small bowl and stir well until dissolved.